The numbers, really, they're overwhelming.
Statistics say that there are somewhere between 147 million - 168 million orphans in the world today. Somewhere I've read that if only 8% of those of us who claim to be Christians would adopt ONE, the orphan crisis would be solved. Seems like simple math.
But, let's be honest, it's not as easy as that. Reason being that of those 147,000,000+ orphans, the majority of them aren't and never will be adoptable. Amazing, isn't it? Did you even know that there are orphans that aren't and never will be adoptable? I didn't; until I went to Ethiopia. The inability to trace and document a child's "true" orphan status, leaves many in a system that they will NEVER escape. Until they age out. Which is another issue all on its own.
Adoption is an amazingly beautiful picture of God's redemptive nature. But it does not solve or even begin to bandage the orphan crisis.
There are so many things that you can do; that WE can do to be His hands and feet to those who are fatherless. We can and should be:
- Contributing to, supporting, establishing agencies that work to preserve the family.
- Sponsoring a child or children. Help to give them food, water, an education, an opportunity to hear the Gospel.
- Support a family who is adopting or fostering.
- Consider becoming a foster parent.
- Mentor an at-risk child.
- Shop with a purpose through places like Ordinary Hero and 147 Million Orphans (just to name a couple).
- Read, learn, PRAY.
- Visit orphans.....trust me on this one, GO.....it will wreck your life in the best way possible.
I know that there are others and I will add them as they come to mind.