Friday, June 28, 2013

Let's Talk Books

Our adoption waiting carries on and I've run out of ways to blog about that so I thought I'd share some books (adoption and parenting related) that I have read over these last many months.

We were required to read two books and I highly recommend both of them if you are journeying down this road and haven't yet read them:


"The Connected Child" is a great book for parents who are welcoming children from "hard places".  The book's authors are very well known for their approach to parenting adopted children.  Jeff and I were also able to attend an Empowered to Connect Conference led by Dr. Purvis, where this approach is taught.

The next book that we were required to read was, "Adoption Parenting".  This book reminds me in a lot of ways of the much-loved "What To Expect When You're Expecting" book that we've all read during our pregnancies.  To be honest, I can't recall a lot of what I read in it as it has been MANY months ago; however, it is a book that, I believe, will be a great source of quick reference in the future.

I also read the book, "There Is No Me Without You".  This is not an adoption or parenting book but it is a heartwarming and heartbreaking book about an Ethiopian widow who, in her own suffering, opens her heart to many orphaned Ethiopian children.  A great, great read.


I'm in the process now of reading, "I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla" which is a book about raising healthy black or biracial children in a race-conscious world.  The verdict is out because I'm not very far into it but I've heard it's a great book as well.


This isn't a complete list but it's some of my favorites.

In addition to these books, I do my fair share of reading a couple of websites that are dedicated to African/African American hair and skin care.  One of the favorites is Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care.  It is a WEALTH of information that I know will come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment