Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day - This Time Next Year

I can recall being pregnant with my boys and often anticipating the "this time next year's".  You know, "this time next Christmas, we'll have a 4-month old", "this time next year, we'll be a family of 5", etc.  Adoption is no different (except for that fact that the "pregnancy" could last longer than 9 months) and Mother's Day (for me) was no different as, for the first time ever, I felt like a mother of THREE on Mother's Day, even though, physically, we remain a family of four, not five.

I am so very blessed with great boys and a husband who loves me and were diligent in making my Mother's Day special.  They even humored my request and bought me a sewing machine like I requested (even though my husband has serious doubts that I'll ever sew a thing) AND took me out for sushi (a newfound love).

In addition to that, I received a Mother's Day email from our agency that included the following poem which served to remind me of what my upcoming role will be in the life of our daughter.  Also, it reminded me that, on this Mother's Day, I'm not the only one who loves this little girl who I've never met.  She is loved by another mother; the one who has given her life, the one who, right this minute, could be making the ultimate sacrifice by placing her in the custody of an orphanage where, ultimately, she will become a part of our family.  I pray for that mother this Mother's Day...and all of the mothers like her. 

A Mother's Day Poem

Once there were two women who never knew each other
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother

Two different lives shaped to make you one

The first one gave you life, and the second taught you to live it
The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it

One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name
One gave you a talent, the other gave you aim

One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears

One made an adoption plan, that was all that she could do
The other prayed for a child, and God led her straight to you.

Now, which of these two women, are you the product of?
Both, my darling, both, just two different types of love.

~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment