Monday, March 26, 2012

Trayvon

A friend recently said to me, "You know there will be people who won't give her the same chance, right?".

She said this about my soon-to-be daughter who, by the way, will not be white.  (Since starting the adoption process, someone actually asked me if all Ethiopians were black).

And my answer to my friend was "yes".  But do I really GET that she will not be treated the same as my white children?  To be completely honest, I'm certain that I don't.

And then there was Trayvon Martin; an unarmed boy shot to death by a man who was told to leave him alone and to wait for back-up.  Maybe Trayvon was not JUST walking in a neighborhood eating Skittles, but did he deserve to die?

Jenn Hatmaker has done a great job on her blog; please read and be aware.


No comments:

Post a Comment